A $2.00 Extension Cord Started the Fire that Burned the House Down

 

house fire It was April 2005.  Our rental house was in flames. 

Everyone got out alright.  The house was a total loss.  Nothing was saved.

The cause of the fire was a $2.00 extension cord, that was hidden under a grass rug, that got pinched under the wheel of the television table. The cord was overloaded with electronics.

Today, I can still remember everything about the fire like it was yesterday.

I have not and do not use lightweight extension cords, at all.  I advise my tenants against them.  I reminds me that at this time of year we must all be so cautious.

ALL CHRISTMAS LIGHTS SHOULD BE PLUGGED INTO HEAVY GAUGE EXTENSION CORDS OR SURGE PROTECTORS. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR!

PLEASE, do not use cheap, lightweight extension cords.  These flimsy  cords are a hazard when overloaded.

At this time of year we must consider how carefully (or not) we are plugging in our beautiful Christmas ornaments, lights, decorations, etc.

We should remember this very simple rule all year through. Check your home offices. Do you have your computers, monitors, printers, scanners plugged into surge protectors?  If you don’t please be sure to take the time to go out and buy some and plug all your electronics into them.

Please remember to have a safe and Wonderful Holiday Season!

Sandy Shores Melbourne FL Realtor

This article is authored by Sandy Shores, Melbourne FL REALTOR.

South Brevard County, Florida Space Coast.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s