Fire Prevention Week is October 5 to 11th.
According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 10,000 fires occurred in 2005 due to unattended appliances. The next leading causes include misuse of portable heaters and overloaded electrical outlets.
In 2005, a friend of mine lost everything in a fire. A $2.00 extension cord, got pinched between the wheel of a TV table and a bamboo rug. A 5 gallon jug of gas standing nearby ignited and the house and her belongings were a total loss.
So. during fire prevention week we are reminded to:
> Make sure your house has smoke detectors, in the hallway and near the bedrooms. Be sure to test smoke detectors every 6 months to be sure batteries are still working.
> Make sure there is no clutter around your water heater.
> Keep cigarette lighters and matches out of reach of children.
> Do not leave the lit stove unattended.
> Be sure that lint traps and dryer vents hoses are cleaned regularly.
Take a few minutes to look around your house and see what you can do to make it a little bit safer.
Visit my website at www.SandyShoresMelbourne.com